Testing GWT Libraries with Selenium and Maven

On Tuesday, I wrote about Running Hosted Mode in GWT Libraries. Today I added an additional module to our project to run Selenium tests against our GWT library. In the process, I discovered some things I needed to modify in my GWT library's pom.xml. I'm writing this post so others can use this setup to write GWT libraries and package them for testing with Selenium.

First of all, I noticed that when you're using the GWT Maven Plugin with a JAR project, it doesn't automatically run gwt:compile or gwt:test in the compile and test phases. I had to explicitly configure the compile goal to run in the compile phase. I also had to add <webappDirectory> to the configuration to compile the JavaScript files into the war directory.

<plugin>
    <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
    <artifactId>gwt-maven-plugin</artifactId>
    <version>1.1</version>
    <configuration>
        <module>org.appfuse.gwt.core.CoreUI</module>
        <runTarget>index.html</runTarget>
        <webappDirectory>war</webappDirectory>
    </configuration>
    <executions>
        <execution>
            <phase>compile</phase>
            <goals>
                <goal>compile</goal>
            </goals>
        </execution>
    </executions>
</plugin>

To package the generated JavaScript and index.html in the JAR, I added the following <resources> section to the maven-resources-plugin configuration I mentioned in my previous post.

<resource>
    <directory>war</directory>
    <includes>
        <include>core.ui/**</include>
        <include>index.html</include>
    </includes>
</resource>

In addition, I discovered some javax.servlet.* classes in my JAR after running "mvn package". I believe this is caused by the GWT plugin sucking these in when it compiles my ProxyServlet. I excluded them by adding the maven-jar-plugin.

<plugin>
    <artifactId>maven-jar-plugin</artifactId>
    <configuration>
        <excludes>
            <exclude>javax/servlet/**</exclude>
        </excludes>
    </configuration>
</plugin>

After doing this, I was able to publish my JAR with all the contents I needed to run Selenium tests against it.

Testing the GWT Library with Selenium
The module that contains the Selenium tests is a WAR project that uses war overlays, Cargo and Selenium RC. You can read about the Maven setup I use for running Selenium tests in Packaging a SOFEA Application for Distribution.

The major difference when testing a JAR (vs. a WAR), is I had to use the maven-dependency-plugin to unpack the JAR so its contents would get included in the WAR for testing. Below is the configuration I used to accomplish this:

<plugin>
    <artifactId>maven-dependency-plugin</artifactId>
    <executions>
        <execution>
            <id>unpack</id>
            <phase>generate-sources</phase>
            <goals>
                <goal>unpack</goal>
            </goals>
            <configuration>
                <artifactItems>
                    <artifactItem>
                        <groupId>org.appfuse</groupId>
                        <artifactId>gwt-core</artifactId>
                        <version>1.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
                        <type>jar</type>
                        <overWrite>false</overWrite>
                        <excludes>META-INF/**,org/**,javax/**</excludes>
                    </artifactItem>
                </artifactItems>
                <outputDirectory>
                    ${project.build.directory}/${project.build.finalName}
                </outputDirectory>
            </configuration>
        </execution>
    </executions>
</plugin>

Hopefully this will help you develop GWT libraries and run Selenium tests against them. If you have any suggestions for simplifying this configuration, please let me know.

NOTE: I did considering a couple of other options for running Selenium tests against our GWT library:

  1. Add something to the existing project that 1) creates a WAR and 2) fires up Cargo/Selenium in a profile to test it.
  2. Create the tests in a GWT (war) project that includes widgets from the library.

I decided on the solution documented above because it seemed like the best option.

Posted in Java at Nov 04 2009, 10:09:27 PM MST 2 Comments
Comments:

[Trackback] This post was mentioned on Twitter by mraible: Testing GWT Libraries with Selenium and Maven: http://bit.ly/2NdY1x

Posted by uberVU - social comments on November 05, 2009 at 04:00 AM MST #

Hi

The javax.servlet issue has allready been reported to gwt plugin user list, but this plugin don't run any java compilation. It *seems* the gwt-dev jar includes javax.servlet source files (to help debuging) that MAY be compiled by the compiler plugin - to be confirmed

Anyway this will be removed from next gwt release, as this is really not so helpfull for any user with a modern build tool

Posted by nicolas de loof on November 08, 2009 at 01:05 PM MST #

Post a Comment:
  • HTML Syntax: Allowed