I found this post on the castor-dev mailing list this afternoon. It seems to indicate that there's a better version of the Castor module for XDoclet.
The "exolab2" module is nearly identical to the original exolab module in
1. generates the mapping.xml file
however, exolab2 differs in that it:
1. works on the fields in a class instead of the methods
-working with field name seems easier and more logical as castor
is for mapping class/db fields, not methods
2. generates the database.xml file
3. generates the create.sql and drop.sql for each class' table
4. doesn't require explicitly declaring the @castor:field-sql type="..." for each class field; it uses a simple look up .xml file to retrieve the appropriate/default sql type for the field's java type
5. doesn't require explicitly declaring the @castor:class table="...";
the class' name will be used as the default table name
so in summary, it generates:
with less "work" than before. basically, these improvements are to help developers quickly and easily generate all the castor-specific and non-castor-specific (sql table defintions) code for new projects.
Too bad this isn't available in XDoclet as of yet. Hmmm, maybe I can use Castor Doclet to generate my DDL.