I spent some time this afternoon and upgraded this site to the soon-to-be-released Roller 2.2 (release notes). Please let me know if you see any issues.
Upgrading Roller is the first step in preparing for tomorrow's CSS Reboot. I don't know if I'll have time to create a new theme and use it on this site, but I hope to give it a try. I'm on the plane for 4 hours tomorrow, so I should be get something done.
As part of the upgrade, I fixed search for this site. The problem was caused by using $dateFormatter when viewing search results. My guess is that variable is not in Velocity's context after searching.