I've been meaning to upgrade this site to use the latest Roller CVS source for quite some time (about a month), but haven't got around to it. However, Dave and Lance have been checking in enhancements like mad lately, so I don't know if it's such a good idea. It would be nice to push out a 0.9.7 release in order to add comments to freeroller.net. Things I would like to see in the comments feature are: 1) remembering a user's information, 2) the ability for the site owner to receive comments as e-mails (I currently have this hacked into this site), and 3) the ability for commenters to receive comment replies (if they entered an e-mail address). A super slick feature would be to allow sending of e-mails to an address (i.e. firstname.lastname@example.org) with something that indicates the post - and whalla, it shows up as a comment! That would be cool (so would posting via e-mail eh?). This will be wanted as users start replying to e-mails, rather than posting comments. Of course, this feature might just be too much work. BTW - what do we need to do to push out a 1.0 Release?
Secondly, I'd like to discuss how I intend on fulfilling my New Years Resolution (To Be Happy). I plan on doing some of the following things:
- Spending more time with my family - both immediate (Julie and Abbie) and distant (my parents, Julie's parents, aunts/uncles, grandparents). These people are the most important in my life, and why wouldn't you spend more time with folks that love you?
- Learn more about Java so I feel more confident in my job. This happens no matter what I do - it comes from working with the technology.
- Being a good Dad - both in Julie's eyes and Abbie's. I'm doing good so far - but I know I can do better. The rewards are endless from doing this.
- Getting a new laptop. I have a business philosophy that fast machines == fast development. Of course, it depends on the developer, but it certainly can't hurt. I hope to get a new PowerBook, and I really hope they put out a 2 GHz version so I can quit bitching about how slow Macs are. I'll compliment this with a 23" Apple Cinema Display just for kicks - if my checkbook can rationalize the purchase. This is sure to keep me happy for a week or two.
- Smiling more - this does wonders for your mood. Having a cheerful attitude and a positive perspective on the world makes things much better.
- Hitting the gym. I haven't been to the gym in months, and I really do need to go as my pants are getting painful to wear. I used to go 4-5 times a week, so I need to get back in the groove. I prefer competition-related exercise such as basketball and raquetball - so I'll definitely try to play those more. It's much more fun to go to the gym and kick a friend's ass at raquetball than to just go and lift weights. Hopefully, I'll begin this next week.
- Worrying less. Not that I do it much right now - that's Julie's job and she does it well ;-). I do worry about work-related stuff a lot though, and do have trouble sleeping some nights because I'm debugging code in my head.
- Get off the computer and get outside more. It's amazing how much more I enjoy the days that I never touch the computer. Also, camping and hiking can do wonders for the soul.