From my work "To Do List":
- Research Load Testing Software for web apps - basically to test how many concurrent users can be handled. (I'm guessing JMeter is a good one)
Please leave comments if you'd like to assist in my research. Thanks!
I read Henri's post about the Apache Conference in Vegas, and then the associated weblogs. Reading Andrew's and Pete's blogs takes me back to my trip to Vegas in September. I highly recommend going to conferences in Vegas - it really is a good time. If you can, talk your spouse or a fellow techno-enthusiast to go and have twice the fun!
Remember when I told you that I had a hot pink bug in high school? In case you didn't believe me, I stumbled upon a picture of it this evening. I chuckled and could resist the urge to post it. It really was a fun car - and I can't wait to restore another one! Hopefully this will be happening shortly after we move to Florida.
I'm teaching a Sun ONE Portal/Directory Server class tomorrow night and Thursday at Sun in Broomfield. It should be a fun crowd to teach - a bunch of Sales Engineers from Sun - around 50 of them! Wow, that's a big class. Actually, there's going to be a Sun instructor co-teaching with me, and it'll be split between two classrooms - but still?!
The bad part, Julie has the flu and has had a fever for the better part of a week and my parents are flying in tomorrow afternoon. Since I'm teaching tomorrow night (5-10) and all day Thursday, that leaves less time to spend with them. Oh well, they're not coming to see me anyway. They're Grandma and Grandpa now and I'm willing to bet they won't even know I'm gone!
Lance asks why do you blog? Here is my list:
- I seem to get better assistance for questions I have from bloggers than from Experts Exchange. So it's been great for getting help/ideas when coding.
- Reading blogs keeps me more informed of the latest developments (both IT and otherwise). Writing a blog inspires me to seek out and find better ways of doing things.
- I am the only developer on my current project, it gets lonely - blogging makes me feel like I have co-workers.
- I needed to re-design my site and using Roller turned out to be an easy way to do it. I didn't realize that putting together a new theme would get me committer status!
- I love Roller and I love using Roller.
- I like writing HTML everyday.
- Reading new blog posts is like getting good e-mail in your Inbox. Reading blogs and writing on this one has surpassed my e-mail checking addiction - which has subsided greatly.
- Blogging makes for great advertising of your company if you run a small company like I do.
- You get more visitors, check out my increase in visitors in the last 6 months. I setup Roller on this site in August.
Dave mentions BasicPortal today. I've kept watch of this project, and I can't comment on it because I haven't downloaded and looked at the source. However, I do know that the original author of it, Vic Cekvenich of BaseBeans Engineering wrote the first Struts book. I was subscribed to the struts-user mailing list at the time, and this book got horrible reviews and a lot of do not buy warnings from developers. I have seem Vic advertising many mini-training sessions across the country re: Struts and BasicPortal though, and apparently those have been really good. He was probably just rushing his book to market too fast and you know what happens when you rush a product and it needs further development.
I made some more progress yesterday on the XDoclet 1.2 upgrade. Aslak fixed the bug with classes extending DispatchAction, and all the action-mappings now generate correctly. However, now I'm getting a new, seemingly Castor-related issue. I probably need to update some XDoclet tags for Castor, but I haven't done any research there yet. Here's the error I'm getting:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Type conversion error:
could not set value of weblogDayPageId(java.lang.String) with
value of type org.roller.model.PageData
at org.exolab.castor.mapping.loader.FieldHandlerImpl.setValue(Unknown Source)
at org.exolab.castor.xml.UnmarshalHandler.resolveReferences(Unknown Source)
at org.exolab.castor.xml.UnmarshalHandler.processAttribute(Unknown Source)
at org.exolab.castor.xml.UnmarshalHandler.processAttributes(Unknown Source)
at org.exolab.castor.xml.UnmarshalHandler.startElement(Unknown Source)
I tried upgrading Castor to version 0.9.4.1 and I get the same error regardless of version. Roller currently uses version 0.9.3.21.