I've updated the AppFuse Roadmap for the upcoming 2.0 version. The current plan is to have a few milestone releases before the final 2.0 release. I can't promise any specific release date because of developer's schedules and current commitments. However, my hope is we can have it done by the end of this year.
- Maven 2 integration
- Migrate from CVS to Subversion
- Remove XDoclet, putting generated files into source tree
- Get all flavors (WARs) deployed and running on Tomcat and Jetty Maven Plugin
- Spring 2.0: Upgrade XML to XSDs, annotations where appropriate
- Upgrade WebWork to Struts 2
- Documentation - move to new Confluence or DocBook-based system for 2.0 documentation
- JDK 5, Annotations and JSP 2.0
- Archetypes for creating new AppFuse projects
- Documentation, including screencasts for tutorials
- Integrate XFire by default (for existing classes and generated classes)
- Code Generation/AppGen - hopefully with the AppFuse Maven Plugin
2.0 Nice to haves
- TestNG replacing JUnit
- Hibernate Validation Annotations (hard part is hooking it into the web frameworks)
- Tomcat Plugin for Maven (that operates like Jetty's plugin)
- JPA Support
- Support for JDK 1.4 using something like Retroweaver
- Support for using Ant to build/test/deploy AppFuse-based projects
- Someone to do all the documentation ;-)
Let me know if there's anything that seems to be missing from this list.
If you can't wait until the end of this year, you may take a look at Patrick Lightbody's newly announced Project Able. He has a lot of good ideas in there that I hope to learn from.