I converted AppFuse to use JSTL's <fmt:message> tag instead of Struts' <bean:message> tags this morning. It was pretty easy. Here's the steps I took:
1. First, I added the following to metadata/web/seb-settings.xml:
<!-- Define the basename for a resource bundle for I18N --> <context-param> <param-name>javax.servlet.jsp.jstl.fmt.localizationContext</param-name> <param-value>ApplicationResources</param-value> </context-param>
2. Then I added the format tag to web/common/taglibs.jsp:
<%@ taglib uri="http://java.sun.com/jstl/fmt" prefix="fmt" %>
3. Finally, I did find/replace with <bean:message/<fmt:message.
4. I also had to change my title and header keys in web/WEB-INF/tiles-config.xml to remove the . from the bean names. In other words, I converted title.key and heading.key to titleKey and headingKey and also made the appropriate changes in web/layouts/baseLayout.jsp.
Easy as Pie!