I did a bunch of work today to get struts-xdoclet off the ground. Basically, all that exists write now is the generation of struts-config.xml and web.xml from xml files in a merge directory. There are no .java files in this project yet.
I'm posting this to you in hopes of getting some validation of the directory structure and Ant-based build/deploy process. The deploy task originally worked as Erik Hatcher suggests in his book, but whenever I tried to redeploy, it would give me errors when trying to remove a .jar file - so I resorted back to a simple copy to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps. The build.xml file I put together is based on what I found in struts-blank.war (for 1.1), roller's build process, my own experience and good ideas from the Ant book.
I've also configured form-based authentication and I plan to add a bunch of optional modules (i.e. SSLExt for SSL Switching, password encryption) to the mix.
I'm still searching for a sample-app idea for the persistence layer (i.e. authors and books). I'd like to do something that folks can use, so I'd definitely like to include an admin section for administering user's and their properties. Maybe even offer features such as registration (might be a bit difficult using tomcat-users.xml, but not so bad with JDBCRealm or an LDAP server), and password recovery.
You can download the first cut of this - which should build and allow you to login - at http://www.raibledesigns.com/struts/.
Next steps include the security modules I mentioned above, and generating validation.xml and persistence classes from a POJO. I'm still undecided on using Castor or Hibernate for the persistence layer. Dave (Johnson) seems to think Hibernate has some great stuff, and he's used Castor for a while, so that's probably the direction I'm leaning towards. It would be great do be able to do both.